Ghost Rider 2 to top President's Day weekend box office over This Means War.
Sony's sequel Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance rides into 3,174 theaters, looking to burn up the box office in 3D and 2D showings nationwide. 2,352 theaters offer the pic in 3D, and we could see a total of between $20-$30 million from the Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor-helmed film, starring Nicolas Cage, Idris Elba, Violante Placido, Ciarán Hinds, Johnny Whitworth, Anthony Head and Christopher Lambert.
20th Century Fox's This Means War, which showcases two of Hollywood's biggest young male stars in a comedic actioner, battling over Reese Witherspoon's character, opens in 3,189 theaters. McG helms from the script by Timothy Dowling and Simon Kinberg.
It's a tricky weekend with probably the most lacklustre superhero franchise currently, up against a pic which could entice some Ghost Rider 2 viewers to slip away, making for a closer battle for first than some anticipate.
Current top spot-holding romancer The Vow should deliver in its second weekend at play, so keep an eye out on that one as well.
Disney's The Secret World of Arrietty (a.k.a. Kari-gurashi no Arietti) animated offering opens in 1,522 theaters, directed by Hiromasa Honebayashi. Select audience-appeal is expected for the U.S. version of the pic which includes the voice talents of Bridgit Mendler, David Henrie, Amy Poehler, Moises Arias and Carol Burnett.
The remainder of the field is limited to indie releases, including:
- Bullhead (a.k.a. Rundskop) from Drafthouse Films - 9 theaters in Los Angeles, New York and Texas. Pic helmed by Michael R. Roskam is Belgium's contender for the Best Foreign Language Film of the Year at the upcoming Oscars.
- The Undefeated documentary from Weinstein Co - 5 theaters.
- Arc Entertainment's Deep in the Heart starring Jon Gries, Elaine Hendrix and Val Kilmer finds 60 theaters.
- ATO Pictures' Greg Kinnear and Billy Crudup starrer Thin Ice opens in 59 venues.
- Strand Releasing has their Danis Tanović-directed drama Cirkus Columbia in a single location.
- Freestyle Releasing's Deadline starring Eric Roberts opens in 15 theaters.
Again, look for a decent hold in sophomore weekend player The Vow, as well as Universal's family adventure Journey 2: The Mysterious Island.